Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Response to Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy

I read an article just recently, about Angelina Jolie's brave move of having a double mastectomy. A mastectomy is a medical procedure where the breast--or breasts (since it's a double mastectomy) are being removed due to a tumor or a strain of BRCA1 gene--a cancer gene.


You can read her story here. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?hp&_r=0

Angelina Jolie has always been known to be a badass movie actress, philantrophist, mother, and now, a film director. Her mother, actress and producer Marcheline Bertrand, succumbed to breast cancer back in 2007 at the age of 56. Having that breast cancer gene is the reason why Angie had the procedure done on her, knowing that she has an estimated 87% chance of getting cancer too, due to the BRCA1 gene.

It suddenly hit home. Back in 2007, as I have told you guys before, I had a surgery--a minor operation to take off a cyst on my right breast. I know I may not have the BRCA1 gene, since my mother doesn't have one. However, it still scares me, knowing that she had a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral saphingo-oophorectomy a couple of years back after having multiple ovarian cysts and myoma. I had ovarian cysts before and I wouldn't be surprised if someday it would come back again.

Just like Ms. Jolie, my main reason to stay healthy is my family. I want to see my daughters grow up, graduate, get married and have kids of their own. See my grandchildren. Grow old and have old folks' talk with my husband. And I would not be able to do that if I get sick.

When our plans of moving falls into place, I am planning to save up money and get tested someday. To get better. Knowing that there's a history of cancer in my family, I can never be so sure. That I have to fight it--or prevent it, way before it finds me.

So to all those who can read this, please take the necessary precautions to stay healthy. With all the advanced technology that we have right now in the field of medicine, almost everything is possible to get cured.

Best of luck to you all.


xo
Aryanne

No comments:

Post a Comment